The Armory Show, modern and contemporary art fair, opens at Javits Center in Hudson Yards, NYC with an invitation only VIP Preview on Thursday, September 9, 2021 and the public fair, Friday-Sunday, September 10-12, 2021.
This is a big change from showing in March on the West Side piers. The shutdown of Pier 92 forced the venue change, and the COVID-19 pandemic forced the date change. Since the Armory Show anchors the Armory Week cluster of art fairs, they are rescheduling too.
Armory Show Tickets
Ticketing wasn’t announced at press time, but tickets will be available at thearmoryshow.com
Armory Show 2021 Exhibitors
The Armory Show has several sections. This is guide to Latin galleries.
These international galleries are showing modern and contemporary art.
- Alfonso Artiaco from Naples, Italy is showing online. 🇮🇹
- Galerie Frank Elbaz from Paris, France is showing online. 🇫🇷
- Max Estrella from Madrid, Spain is showing online. 🇪🇸
- Galeria Lume from São Paulo, Brazil is in Booth 224. 🇧🇷
- Marlborough, a New York gallery with many Latin artists, is in Booth 121. 🇺🇸
- Galeria Millan from São Paulo, Brazil is in Booth 213. 🇧🇷
- Galleria Lorcan O’Neill from Rome, Italy is in Booth 306. 🇮🇹
- Galerie Oniris from Rennes, France is showing online. 🇫🇷
- P420 from Bologna, Italy is showing online. 🇮🇹
- Polígrafa Obra Gràfica from Barcelona, Spain is showing online. 🇪🇸
- Proyectosmonclova from Mexico City, Mexico is in Booth 340. 🇲🇽
- Galeria Senda from Barcelona, Spain is showing online. 🇪🇸
These are single artist presentations of modern and contemporary work.
These are solo- and dual-artist presentations focused on the big issues of the day and how artists see our future. It is curated this year by Wassan Al-Khudhairi, Chief Curator of the Contemporary Art Museum in St Louis, Missouri.
- Curro from Guadalajara, Mexico is in Booth F14. 🇲🇽
- Luce Gallery from Turin, Italy is in Booth F20. 🇮🇹
- Maia Contemporary from Mexico City, Mexico is in Booth F17. 🇲🇽
- Proyectos Ultravioleta from Guatemala City, Guatemala is showing online. 🇬🇹
- Vermelho from São Paulo, Brazil is in Booth F1. 🇧🇷
These are young gallery (under fifteen years) solo- and dual-artist presentations.
- Bradley Ertaskiran from Montreal, Canada is in Booth P8. 🇨🇦
- Projet Pangée from Montreal, Canada is in Booth P18. 🇨🇦
These include museums, galleries and foundations.
These are large-scale and site-specific works. Claudia Schmuckli of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco curates this year. The focus is empathy that bridges fault lines.
Julian Charrière “We Are All Astronauts 2014-2021” is co-presented by Dittrich & Schlectreim (Berlin) and Sean Kelly (NY). 🇫🇷
2021 Curators Announced
The art world has long blinded itself with a European focus, but that is changing. There is broad recognition that great art was made everywhere in the world, by all kinds of people, over broader time frames than those imposed by European art history. The future of art is diverse. One of the ways we are seeing this is through curator selection.
Wassan Al-Khudhairi is the Chief Curator of the Contemporary Art Museum of St. Louis. She will curate the Focus program which offers reduced rates to bring compelling work to the fair. Al-Khudhairi is a specialist in modern and contemporary art from the Arab world.
Claudia Schmuckli is the Curator-in-Charge of Contemporary Art and Programming at the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. She will curate the Platform program of large-scale and site-specific installations.
Valerie Cassel Oliver is a Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond. She will chair the Curatorial Leadership Summit.
Congratulations to the curators and thank you Armory Show for being more inclusive.