The Bryant Park Dance Party 2022 is six evening programs of dance instruction and social dancing with live music at Bryant Park in Midtown, Manhattan for the first two weeks of May. The tradition began in 2014, but has been on COVID break since 2020.
The Bryant Park Dance Party in Midtown features Salsa Tue, May 3; Swing Wed, May 4; and a Cinco de Mayo party Thu, May 5. Free. bryantpark.org
The Bryant Park Dance Party in Midtown features Flamenco Rumba Tue, May 10; African Fusion (Cuban/Senegalese) Wed, May 11; and Music of the Americas Colombia, Peru and Venezuela on Thu, May 12. Free. bryantpark.org
A Talia Castro-Pozo Production
This is a super fun event. It’s hosted and produced by Talia Castro-Pozo, NYC’s Salsa Dance Queen (really). The classical ballerina and actress, originally from Peru, produces many of NYC’s most popular Salsa events. Talia is a great all-around entertainer. You can see her on television and in commercials.
Peru is famous for its Indigenous Inca, but has strong Afro-Peruvian music and dance traditions from the old coastal plantations. Lima used to be considered an African city.
Bryant Park Dance Party 2022
The Bryant Park Dance Party works like this. It’s all done around the Bryant Park Fountain, and it’s all free.
- Dance lesson from 6-7pm
- Social dancing to live music from 7-8:30pm
The 2022 Dance Party Lineup
Week 1 – Tue-Thu, May 3-5:
- New York Salsa with live music by Avenida B, Tue, May 3. Adriel Flete from Spielberg’s “West Side Story” joins Talia. 🇨🇴🇨🇺🇵🇦🇵🇪🇵🇷🇻🇪
- Swing Dance to live music by Antoinette Montague, Wed, May 4. 🇺🇸
- Cinco de Mayo Party with instruction in Polka and Jarabe Tapatio and live music by Mariachi Real de Mexico featuring José Adán Pérez, Thu, May 5. 🇲🇽
Week 2 – Tue-Thu, May 10-12:
- Flamenco Rumba with Nélida Tirado, Tue, May 10. 🇪🇸🇨🇺🇵🇷
- African Fusion with Sekou McMiller, Babacar Top and The Artist Collective connecting Cuba and Senegal, Wed, May 11. 🇨🇺🇸🇳
- Music of the Americas: Colombia, Peru and Venezuela with live music by La Mar (Nilko Andreas Guarin), Thu, May 12. 🇨🇴🇵🇪🇻🇪
Let’s dance. You know you want to.