Americas Society / Council of the Americas (ASCOA) is a forum for education, debate, and dialogue on political, social, economic, and cultural issues of Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada.
It produces excellent music and arts programs in a beautifully restored Park Avenue mansion.
The audience is Upper East Side academic. It’s a good place for networking.
- Susan Segal is AS/COA President and CEO.
- Aimé Iglesias Lukin is Director and Chief Curator, Visual Arts. 🇦🇷
- Sebastián Zubieta is Director, Music of the Americas. 🇦🇷
Thank you Americas Society for sponsoring Latin music at New York Latin Culture Magazine!
Americas Society Features
Americas Society News
Flag Series: Raul Mourão is a public art installation of Mourão’s “The New Brazilian Flag #3, (2018); at Americas Society on 68th St in the Upper East Side; from January 24 – May 30, 2023. FREE! as-coa.org 🇧🇷
Bispo do Rosário: All Existing Materials on Earth, the first U.S. solo exhibition of the genius outsider artist; is at Americas Society in the Upper East Side; from Wednesday, January 25 – May 20, 2023. FREE! 🇧🇷
Deep Marajó: Contemporary Marajoara Ceramics, an art exhibition of contemporary ceramics from the Marajó archipelago at the mouth of the Amazon River; is at Americas Society in the Upper East Side; from Wednesday, January 25 – May 20, 2023. FREE! as-coa.org 🇧🇷
Orchestra of St Luke’s: Viajes y Raíces (Travel & Roots) is a program of string quartets including:
- “Esencia” by Tania León, the Pulitzer Prize-winning, New York Cuban composer,
- “Talamh (Land)” by inti figgis-vizueta, the New York Irish Quechua composer,
- “Souvenirs” by Keyla Orozco, the Cuban-born Guggenheim and Cintas Fellow.
It’s at Americas Society in the Upper East Side; on Friday, March 7, 2023 at 7pm. FREE with email rsvp. as-coa.org 🇨🇺
This is just from 2022.
- Antonio Meneses classical cellist. 🇧🇷
- Diego Sánchez Haase contemporary opera. 🇪🇸🇵🇾
- Fonema Consort contemporary classical music. 🇦🇷🇧🇷🇨🇷🇲🇽
- Guadalupe Peraza regional Mexican music. 🇲🇽
- Hélio Oiticia (1937-1980) contemporary art. 🇧🇷
- Jean Bernard Cerin baritone classical folk. 🇭🇹
- Luedji Luna pop. 🇧🇷
- Magos Herrera jazz singer. 🇲🇽
- Melissa Joseph classical folk. 🇭🇹
- Nibia Pastrana Santiago contemporary art. 🇵🇷
- Opera Hispánica. 🇦🇷
- Orchestra of St Luke’s classical chamber music. 🇨🇦
- Rita Indiana writer, singer-songwriter. 🇩🇴
- São Paulo Chamber Soloists classical chamber music. 🇧🇷
- Wilfrido Terrazas contemporary classical flutist. 🇲🇽
Americas Society Tickets
680 Park Avenue
(at 68th St)
Upper East Side, Manhattan
(4)(6) to 68th St, walk 1 block west
(N)(Q)(R) to 72nd St, walk 4 blocks south and 3 blocks west
Some free events require an email RSVP.