The 72nd UN General Assembly (UNGA 72) opens at UN Headquarters in Midtown East on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 3pm. The UN General Assembly (UNGA) is convened for the entire year.
The UN General Debate is two weeks from September 12 – 25, 2017.
72nd UN General Assembly President
Slovack diplomat Miroslav Lajčák was elected president of the 72nd UN General Assembly on May 31, 2017. He is a three-term Minister of Foreign and European Affairs of Slovakia.
Lajčák’s priorities for his presidency are:
- Making a difference in the lives of ordinary people
- Prevention and mediation for sustaining peace
- Political momentum for the SDGs and climate
- Human rights and equality, including equal opportunities for genders
- Quality of events organized by the Presidency
72nd UN General Assembly 2017 Agenda
- Promotion of sustained economic growth and sustainable development in accordance with the relevant resolutions of the General Assembly and recent United Nations conferences
- Maintenance of international peace and security
- Development of Africa
- Promotion of human rights
- Effective coordination of humanitarian assistance efforts
- Promotion of justice and international law
- Drug control, crime prevention and combating international terrorism in all its forms and manifestations
- Organizational, administrative and other matters
72nd UN General Debate 2017
The 72nd UN General Debate runs for two weeks from Tuesday, September 12, 2017 through Monday, September 25, 2017.
During this time traffic in Midtown East will be terrible and security will be very tight. Expect some street closures. Avoid driving in Midtown East.
For more information, visit www.un.org