Copa América is the quadrennial South American Football Championship. It features all ten South American teams and two invited guest teams.
Copa América Centenario is a special centennial edition of Copa América from June 3-26, 2016 across the USA. The Centenario features all ten South American teams and six teams from North America, Central America, and the Caribbean. It is the biggest soccer event in the United States since the 1994 World Cup.
Chile are the defending champions. Argentina is favored to win this year. Argentina and Chile reprise last year’s Copa América Final on Monday, June 6.
MetLife Stadium in New Jersey is one of the tournament’s ten venues. The Final will be played there.
You can watch games in English on FOX and in Spanish on Univision. You can stream online through FOX and Univision apps.
Copa América Centenario Group Stage
The Group Stage is Friday June 3 – Tuesday, June 14. The top two teams of each group advance to the Quarter-Finals.
- United States is through to the Quarter-Finals
- Colombia is through to the Quarter-Finals
- Costa Rica has been eliminated
- Paraguay has been eliminated
Colombia was favored to win the group. The second spot was a tossup. United States lost to Colombia, but won the group after a Colombia was upset by Costa Rica. What a surprise.
- Peru is through to the Quarter-Finals
- Ecuador is through to the Quarter-Finals
- Brazil has been eliminated
- Haiti has been eliminated
Brazil and Ecuador were favored to win the group. Brazil’s failure was a surprise.
- Mexico is through to the Quarter-Finals
- Venezuela is through to the Quarter-Finals
- Uruguay has been eliminated
- Jamaica has been eliminated
Mexico and Uruguay were favored to win the group. Mexico is one of the strong teams. It can be considered the home team because soccer is popular among Mexican-Americans.
- Argentina is through to the Quarter-Finals
- Chile is through to the Quarter-Finals
- Panama has been eliminated
- Bolivia has been eliminated
Argentina and Chile were favored to win the group and they did. Argentina is the only unbeaten team in the Copa.
Group Stage Schedule
Friday, June 3
- United States 0-2 Colombia
Saturday, June 4
- Costa Rica 0-0 Paraguay
- Haiti 0-1 Peru
- Brazil 0-0 Ecuador
Sunday, June 5
- Jamaica 0-1 Venezuela
- Mexico 3-1 Uruguay
Monday, June 6
- Panama 2-1 Bolivia
- Argentina 2-1 Chile
Tuesday, June 7
- USA 4-0 Costa Rica
- Colombia 2-1 Paraguay
Wednesday, June 8
- Brazil 7-1 Haiti
- Ecuador 2-2 Peru
Thursday, June 9
- Uruguay 0-1 Venezuela
- Mexico 2-0 Jamaica
Friday, June 10
- Chile 2-1 Bolivia
- Argentina 5-0 Panama
Saturday, June 11
- USA 1-0 Paraguay
- Colombia 2-3 Costa Rica
Sunday, June 12
- Ecuador 4-0 Haiti
- Brazil 0-1 Peru
Monday, June 13
- Mexico 1-1 Venezuela
- Uruguay 3-0 Jamaica
Copa América Centenario Quarter-Finals
Quarter-Finals were Thursday-Saturday June 16-18.
- United States 2-1 Ecuador, June 16
- Peru 0-0 P Colombia, June 17 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ (near the Meadowlands)
- Argentina 4-1 Venezuela, June 18 at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. All of Argentine NYC hit the I-95.
- Mexico 0-7 Chile, June 18 was a shocking upset to one of the favorites
We picked United States, Colombia, Argentina, and Mexico to reach the Semi-Finals.
Copa América Centenario Semi-Finals
Semi-Finals were Tuesday-Wednesday June 21-22.
- United States 0-4 Argentina
- Colombia 0-2 Chile, the Cafeteros couldn’t do it.
Copa América Centenario Final
Chile upset Argentina to win the Copa América Centenario Final at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ (near the Meadowlands) on June 26, 2016.
Copa América returns in 2019.
To get your story in New York's media of record for Latin culture contact us