Things to Do in NYC in August
In August, New Yorkers usually travel and the city fills with tourists. But this year is different. The pandemic isn’t over.
Please get vaccinated. Anyone 12+ is eligible. It’s safe, free with the City and has nothing to do with citizenship. They’ll even come to your home. nyc.gov
We had a breakthrough infection in our office from outdoor exposure. Vaccines may have saved a life, but the threat of the Delta variant is real.
Broadway and most NYC theatres will require proof of vaccination. NYC will even pay you $100 for your first shot nyc.gov
In New York, the US Open Grand Slam tennis championship is a major social event and the bridge from calendar summer to fall. It starts Aug 30.
Please get vaccinated nyc.gov
Harlem Week is live and virtual Aug 6-15.
Summer Streets is Sat, Aug 7 & 14.
The Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival is Sat, Aug 7.
The Creole Food Festival is Sat-Sun, Aug 7-8.
The National Dominican Day Parade is virtual on Sun, Aug 8.
The NYC Ecuadorian Parade is Sun, Aug 8.
NYC Puppet Week is Aug 11-15 with virtual performances Aug 16-31.
NYC Homecoming Week is Aug 14-22.
NY International Auto Show is Aug 20-29
Charlie Parker Jazz Festival is Aug 28-29
Fall tickets are on sale now. Proof of vaccination will be required.
Pass Over previews Aug 4.
Springsteen on Broadway continues.
Merry Wives Shakespeare in the Park runs through Aug 29.
The 40th Battery Dance Festival is virtual from around the world Aug 12-14 and live from Battery Park City, Aug 15-20.
Lincoln Center’s BAAND Together Dance Festival is Aug 17-21.
Search New York Latin Culture Magazine
Levantarse! New York City is working towards a full September reopening. The City is buzzing with energy. The great outdoors beckons. New Yorkers are being friendly. Yay!
CHECK BEFORE YOU GO
Un Verano en Nueva York
This summer in New York City is epic ~ it’s the special one. “Si te quieres divertir…”
- Miguel Cardenas “Beyond the Fence” is at Chapter NY in the Lower East Side, June 19 – July 31. 🇨🇴
- The Latin American Foto Festival 2021 is at the Bronx Documentary Center in Melrose, The Bronx through August 1. FREE 🇦🇷🇨🇱🇨🇴🇸🇻🇲🇽🇵🇪🇻🇪
- The Open Call exhibition of emerging New York artists shows the diversity of our City at The Shed in Hudson Yards through August 1. theshed.org
- The Alice Neel: People Come First exhibition is at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Central Park through Aug 1. 🇨🇺
- Beto de Volder: Landscapes is at Hutchinson Modern in the Upper East Side June 17 – August 20, 2021. By appointment at hutchinsonmodern.com 🇦🇷
Broadway, Off-Broadway and Off-Off Broadway.
- Springsteen on Broadway is at the St James through Sat, September 4, 2021. seatgeek.com
- Experimental theater “Endure: Run Woman Show” is in Central Park July 3 – Aug 8. $44.99 runwomanshow.com
- Pass Over at the August Wilson previews Aug 4 and opens Sep 12. seatgeek.com
- Shakespeare in the Park presents “Merry Wives” at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park, July 5 – Aug 29 🇰🇪
- Latin Mondays at Taj salsa dance party reopens in the Flatiron District on Mon, Aug 2 at 5pm. $10 🇵🇪
- Midtown Dance Free Outdoor Dancing & Lessons at Greeley Square Plaza near Herald Square on Tue, Aug 3 from 5:45-8pm. FREE with pre-registration. 🇵🇪
- Midtown Dance Free Outdoor Salsa Dancing at Greeley Square Plaza near Herald Square on Thu, Aug 5 from 5:45-8pm. FREE with pre-registration. 🇵🇪
- Do the Central Park Tango at the Shakespeare Statue in Central Park on Sat, Aug 7 at 6pm 🇦🇷
- Salsa Sundays at Orchard Beach is in Pelham Bay Park, The Bronx on Sun, Aug 8. 🇵🇷
- SummerStage is back to first-come, first-serve.
- Pachamama is Sun, Aug 1. 🇦🇷🇧🇴🇨🇱🇪🇨🇵🇪
- Bolivian Independence Day is Fri, Aug 6 🇧🇴
- Ecuadorian Independence Day is Tue, Aug 10 🇪🇨
- India Independence Day is Sun, Aug 15 🇮🇳
- The Assumption of Mary, on Sun, Aug 15, marks the start of summer holidays in Latin Europe. 🇫🇷🇮🇹🇵🇹🇷🇴🇪🇸
- Big Screen Summer: NYFF58 Redux is at Film at Lincoln Center through Aug 26 at filmlinc.org
- The Inwood Artworks Bilingual Film Festival is Monday nights at sundown at The Hudson in Inwood Hill Park, through Aug 30.
- Summer of Soul, the documentary of the 1969 Harlem Music Festival is now playing 🇺🇸
- In the Heights is now playing 🇵🇷🇩🇴
- NYC Restaurant Week is July 19 – Aug 22. 🇺🇸🇧🇷🇨🇺🇫🇷🇬🇾🇭🇹🇮🇹🇲🇽🇵🇪🇵🇷🇪🇸
- International Beer Day is Sat, Aug 7
- The 3rd Creole Food Festival is at Skinny’s Cantina on the Hudson in Manhattanville, Sat-Sun, Aug 7-8 from 2-8pm. From $55 creolefoodfestival.com 🇧🇧🇧🇷🇨🇲🇨🇺🇩🇴🇭🇹🇵🇷🇻🇨🇸🇳🇹🇹🇺🇸
- National Rum Day is Mon, Aug 16 🇨🇺🇩🇴🇵🇷
- The Peru to the World Expo is at The Baker House 1650 in East Hampton, Long Island on Sun, Sept 26 🇵🇪
- The NYC Wine and Food Festival (NYCWFF) is Thu-Sun, Oct 14-17, 2021
- Sarah Cabral sings Brazilian pop at LunÀtico in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn on Mon, Aug 2 at 9pm. $10/person suggested donation 🇧🇷
- Terence Blanchard featuring the E-Collective with the Turtle Island Quartet celebrate Wayne Shorter (Jazz Messengers, Miles Davis, Weather Report) for Carnegie Hall Citywide in Bryant Park in the Garment District on Fri, Aug 6 at 7pm. FREE 🇺🇸
- Gili Yalo sings Ethiopian Israeli pop at Drom in the East Village on Fri, August 6, 2021 at 8pm (7pm doors). $25 🇪🇹🇮🇱
- The Red Bull Batalla freestyle rap championship of Costa Rica is on redbull.com on Sat, Aug 7. 🇨🇷
- Arturo O’Farrill and the Afro Latin Jazz Ensemble play Birdland in Hell’s Kitchen on Sun, Aug 8 at 7pm. 🇨🇺
- Extranjero (Joel Moscoso) plays Latin rock at Drom in the East Village on Sat, August 7, 2021 at 8pm. (7pm doors). 🇪🇨
- Caribbean Beach Fest features Dexta Daps and Lyrikal playing reggae and soca at the Ford Amphitheater on the Coney Island Boardwalk in Brooklyn on Sun, Aug 8 at 8pm (7pm doors). From $83 seasideparkconeyisland.com 🇯🇲🇹🇹
- The Blue Note Jazz Festival is June 15 – Aug 15 🇩🇴🇮🇹🇵🇷
- Mets play baseball at Citi Field in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens through Oct 3. The Atlanta Braves rivalry is Mon-Thu, July 26-29. 🇩🇴🇮🇹🇵🇷🇪🇸🇻🇪
- Yankees play baseball at Yankee Stadium in Concourse, The Bronx through Oct 3. The Red Sox Rivalry is Tue-Wed, Aug 17-18. 🇨🇴🇨🇺🇩🇴🇲🇽🇳🇮🇵🇷🇻🇪
- US Open tennis grand slam (Aug 30 – Sep 7)tickets go on sale on Thu, July 15 at 12 noon.
- NYCFC plays Major League Soccer at Yankee Stadium in Concourse, The Bronx through Nov 7.
- NY Red Bulls play Major League Soccer at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey (Newark) through Nov 7.
- Peak whale-watching season in NYC is June – August.
- PBS Great Performances Roots of Latin Jazz, with Sheila E., Tony Succar, and Dr. Pablo Gil, premieres on PBS Thirteen on Fri, July 16 at 10pm ET. pbs.org 🇧🇷🇲🇽🇵🇪
- The Latino Experience, three episodes of short films about Latin culture and identity, premieres on PBS Thirteen on Tuesdays, July 6, 13, 20 at 9pm ET. 🇧🇴🇨🇺🇩🇴🇬🇹🇲🇽🇵🇷🇺🇸
- Great Performances – Gloria Estefan: Sangre Yoruba streams on PBS Thirteen through Fri, Aug 6. pbs.org 🇧🇷🇨🇺
These artists help us understand the Latin world.
Art dealer 🇮🇹
Former head of Sotheby’s Latin American Art Department
Hutchinson Modern & Contemporary
Latin American contemporary art
Latin jazz drummer, producer and teacher 🇵🇷
8-time Grammy nominee
“West Side Story Reimagined,” WBGO Latin Jazz Cruise radio
Dance teacher, choreographer, producer and performer 🇮🇳
The Queen of Bollywood Dance
BollyJazz, NYC Dance Week
Award-winning arts curator and producer 🇵🇷
The Folklorist of The Bronx
Bronx Music Hall, Bronx Music Heritage Center, WHEDco, City Lore
Wish You Were Here in NYC
Now is one of the best times to visit New York City. The weather is great. New York’s summer peaks in July. August is quieter, but we have many visitors.
Wish you were here in NYC! Don’t you? Sigue la rumba … ..