Così fan tutte, ossia La Scuola degli amanti (Women are like That, or The School for Lovers) is Mozart’s two-act, Italian comic opera about the sexes.
This is tricky material for what was once tolerated, in the age of #MeToo has become unacceptable. You probably have to be “Latin” about it and don’t worry too much. Just enjoy, and do behave.
Così fan tutte 2020
Mozart’s Italian comic opera “Cosí fan tutte” is at the Metropolitan Opera on selected days from February 15 – March 14, 2020.
This season’s production stars Nicole Car, Serena Malfi, Ben Flis and Luca Pisaroni. Harry Bicket conducts.
Tickets from $30 at the Metropolitan Opera House box office and metopera.org
Così fan tutte
Lorenzo Da Ponte wrote the libretto. He also wrote the libretto’s for Le nozze di Figaro and Don Giovanni. Così fan tutte premiered at the Burgtheater in Vienna, Austria in 1790. It premiered at the Met Opera in 1922.
Così fan tutte Setting
The traditional setting is Naples, Italy.
Così fan tutte Roles
- Fiordiligi is a lady from Ferrara and Dorabella’s sister .
- Dorabella is a lady from Ferrara and Fiordiligi’s sister.
- Despina is a maid.
- Ferrando is a soldier who is Dorabella’s lover.
- Guglielmo is a soldier who is Fiordiligi’s lover.
- Don Alfonso is an old philospher.
Così fan tutte 2018
Phelim McDermott carnival-esque new production is set in 1950s Coney Island.
Così fan tutte Cast
- David Robertson (Santa Monica, California) conducts.
- Soprano Amanda Majeski (Gurnee, Illinois) is Fiordiligi.
- Mezzo-Soprano Serena Malfi (Aversa, Italy) is Dorabella.
- Soprano Kelli O’Hara (Elk, City, Oklahoma) is Despina.
- Tenor Ben Bliss (Prairie Village, Kansas) is Ferrando.
- Bass-Baritone Adam Plachetka (Prague, Czech Republic) is Guglielmo.
- Baritone Christopher Maltman (Cleethorpes, England) is Don Alfonso.