The Feast of San Gennaro 2021, “The Feast of All Feasts,” is on Mulberry Street in Little Italy, Manhattan, daily for eleven days from Thursday, September 16-26, 2021. FREE sangennaronyc.org
San Gennaro is the patron saint of Naples, Italy. The Feast is a street fair with food, entertainment and some carnival rides and special events in the heart of old Little Italy. It’s makes a good date night.
People from the neighborhood come back every year so it’s also a gathering of family and friends. The festival opens with the Blessing of the Stands. The Mass and Procession of the Statue are highlights for the faithful. The Grand Procession is the big parade.
There is no Latin party without food. There are eating competitions for: cannoli, zeppole, pizza and meatball. There is music of Frank Sinatra, Enrico Caruso and even a Neopolitan concert.
Manhattan’s Little Italy is a bit touristy, but people love this festival. It is iconic New York City. The seasons are in transition, but when you think of fall in New York City, the Feast of San Gennaro is one of the festivals that comes to mind.
We are one of the communities that defines New York. Italian American has become just American, but that process began here once upon a time in Little Italy.
95th Feast of San Gennaro 2021
This year’s San Gennaro Feast honors NYC’s first responders who have given so much during the pandemic. Thank you for your service.
The Grand Marshal is Daniel Nigro, FDNY Commissioner. The Queen of the Festival is Melanie DeCrescento.
Honorary Grand Marshals include:
- Edward Grayson, Commissioner NYC Department of Sanitation
- John Scrivani, Commissioner NYC Emergency Management
- Dermot Shea, NYPD Commissioner
There are special events almost every day.
- The Blessing of the Stands is Thursday, September 16 at 6pm.
- The Cannoli Eating Competition is Friday, September 17 at 2pm.
- Mike Sergio celebrates Sinatra on Saturday, September 18 at 7pm.
- The Mass and Procession of the Saint are at the Shrine Church of the Most Precious Blood on Sunday, September 19 at 2pm.
- Enrico Caruso Opera Night is Tuesday, September 21 at 7pm.
- The Zeppole Eating Competition is on Wednesday, September 22 at 1pm.
- The Pizza Eating Competition is on Friday, September 24 at 1pm.
- The Grand Procession with floats, bands and celebrities is broadcast live by Joe Causi on WCBS FM on Saturday, September 25 a 2pm.
- The Meatball Eating Competition is Sunday, September 26 at 1pm.
- The Neapolitan Concert is Sunday, September 26 at 2pm.
When San Gennaro was murdered, the faithful collected some of his blood. It is stored in vials in the Naples Cathedral. The faithful swear that his old dried blood liquifies on September 19 and important moments in Naples. They are very serious about this.
See you at the Feast of San Gennaro!