American jazz singer Alexandra Jackson celebrates 60 years of bossa nova music in The Brazil Concert at The Loft in City Winery in Hudson Square, Manhattan on Monday, January 7, 2019 at 8pm (Doors at 6pm). From $15. Get tickets
The concert follows her latest album, the bossa nova tribute Legacy & Alchemy which features late icons such as Antonio Carlos Jobim, Miles Davis and Al Jarreau.
The evening’s special guests include a number of great musicians:
- Duduka da Fonseca
Jazz drummer from Rio de Janeiro who is part of the Brazilian supergroup Trio da Paz
- Helio Alves
Jazz pianist from São Paulo who trained at Berklee College
- Sandro Albert
Jazz guitarist from Porto Alegre
- Rogerio Boccato
Brazilian percussionist and educator (Manhattan School of Music)
- Eduardo Belo
Jazz bassist from Brasilia
- Larry Williams
Producer and sax player from Seawind
Some of these artists actually played with the bossa nova giants whose music this concert celebrates.
The Brazil Concert is produced by Bossa Nova Noites with the support of the Brazilian Consulate of New York.
Jackson is an American blues and jazz singer based in Atlanta. She has a rich voice that she didn’t just get in church. It runs in the family.
Jackson’s great aunt was Mattiwilda Dobbs, the African-American coloratura soprano who was one of the first black singers to have an international opera career, including at the Metropolitan Opera.
Legacy & Alchemy
The album was recorded over three years in Rio de Janeiro, Los Angeles, Atlanta, London, New York and Chicago. It was produced by Robert Hebert and Larry Williams.
We don’t know what Jackson’s concert set list will be, but these are the tracks from the album. It’s a bossa nova greatest hits with some amazing guest artists. Jackson sings in both Portuguese and English.
- Tudo Que Voce Podia Ser (featuring Arthur Maia, Marco Brito & Marcelo Martins)
- Amazon Farewell (featuring Carlinhos Brown)
- A Felicidade (featuring Paulo Jobim & Daniel Jobim)
- All One (featuring Al Jarreau, Larry Williams & Oscar Castro-Neves)
- Labirintos (featuring Banda Black Rio, Hubert Laws, Maestro Charles Floyd & The Bossa Nova Noites Orquestra)
- Anjo de Mim (featuring Ivan Lins)
- Corcovado (featuring Miles Davis, Antonio Carlos Jobim & Ivan Lins)
- Sonho Meu (featuring Dona Ivone Lara, Max Viana & Pretinho da Serrinha)
- Stage (featuring Larry Dunn, Al McKay, Darryl Jones & Teo Lima)
- Futuros Amantes (featuring Maestro Larry Williams, The Bossa Nova Noites Orquestra & Ricardo Silveira)
- Somos Todos Iguais Esta Noite (featuring Ivan Lins)
- Black Sailors (Interlude) (featuring. Kevin Spears & Andre Siqueira)
- Veleiros Negros (featuring Paulo Calasans, Joao Castilho, Andre Siqueira & Curtis King)
- Girl from Ipanema (featuring Jesse Sadoc)
- Turns Your Heart Around (featuring Chris Walker & Larry Williams)
- Força da Imaginação (featuring Dona Ivone Lara & Pretinho da Serrinha)
- Our Time Now (featuring Rod Temperton, Chris Walker, Siedah Garrett & Armando Marcal)
- Brazilica (featuring Darryl Jones, Teo Lima, Armando Marcal, Larry Dunn, Maestro Charles Floyd, The Bossa Nova Noites Orquestra, Larry Williams, Marco Brito & Ricardo Silveira)
Alexandra Jackson Brazil Concert Tickets
Bar Stool: $15
There is a 15% service fee for use of a credit or debit card.
City Winery Box Office
Monday-Friday: 11am – 5pm
Tickets by Phone
Hurry, before they sell out!
City Winery Directions
One of the goals of the Legacy and Alchemy project is to revisit this great music from another generation. I have my own Brazilian legacy, but have to admit that I had forgotten these songs and how much they are a part of me.
It is really hard to work with this music again and not want to just pack up and go back to Brazil right now. Thank you for the awakening. ~ Keith Widyolar