Le Nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro) is Mozart’s Italian comic opera about one crazy day in a wealthy household in Seville, Spain. The romantic comedy carries on the plot of The Barber of Seville.
Le Nozze di Figaro is one of today’s ten operas that are most frequently performed. Mozart wrote the opera in 1786.
Lorenzo Da Ponte (1749 – 1838) wrote the libretto. He also wrote Mozart librettos for Don Giovanni and Così fan tutte. Da Ponte was the first professor of Italian at Columbia University.
The libretto is based on a 1784 stage comedy by Pierre Beaumarchais, La folle journée, ou le Mariage de Figaro (The Mad Day, or The Marriage of Figaro).
The opera premiered at the Burgtheater in Vienna, Austria in 1786. It premiered at the Met in 1940.
One Crazy Day
Count Almaviva is trying to exercise is princely right to sleep with his servant Susanna on her wedding night. Figaro is the Count’s personal valet. Figaro, Susanna, and the Countess Rosina conspire to expose and embarrass the Count. In the end the Count’s love for Countess Rosina is restored.
Le Nozze di Figaro 2017
The Metropolitan Opera performs Le Nozze di Figaro eleven times between Wednesday, December 6, 2017 and Friday, January 19, 2018.
Originally set in 18 century Seville, Sir Richard Eyre’s production sets the action in the 1930s.
Harry Bicket conducts. There are two casts.
Cast Before December 25
- Countess Almaviva: Rachel Willis-Sørensen (American)
- Susanna: Christiane Karg (German)
- Cherubino: Serena Malfi (Italian)
- Count Almaviva: Luca Pisaroni (Venezuelan)
- Figaro: Adam Plachetka (Czech)
Cast After December 25
- Countess Almaviva: Ailyn Pérez (Caitlyn Lynch January 19)
- Susanna: Nadine Sierra (Puerto Rican – Italian – Portuguese – American, Florida)
- Cherubino: Isabel Leonard (Argentine-American New Yorker)
- Count Almaviva: Mariusz Kwiecien (Polish)
- Figaro: Ildar Abdrazakov (Russian)
Le Nozze di Figaro December 2017
Wednesday, December 6 at 7:30 pm OPENING NIGHT
Saturday, December 9 at 8 pm
Tuesday, December 12 at 7:30 pm
Friday, December 15 at 8 pm
Tuesday, December 19 at 7:30 pm
Saturday, December 23 at 1 pm
Friday, December 29 at 7:30 pm NEW CAST OPENING NIGHT
Le Nozze di Figaro January 2018
Thursday, January 4 at 7:30 pm
Wednesday, January 10 at 7:30 pm
Saturday, January 13 at 8 pm
Friday, January 19 at 7:30 pm CLOSING NIGHT
Le Nozze di Figaro Tickets
Tickets start at $25
- Patrons and Subscribers on June 15, 2017
- Guild members (Supporting and above) on June 18, 2017
- General public, Sunday, June 25, 2017
Metropolitan Opera House box officeMonday – Saturday, 10 am -6 pm Sunday, 12 noon – 6 pm
By Phone(212) 362-6000 Monday – Saturday, 10 am – 8 pm Sunday, Noon – 6 pm
Rush Tickets$25 Rush tickets can be purchased at www.metopera.org the day of the show. You can buy two tickets to one performance every seven days. Rush tickets go on sale Monday – Friday at 12 noon Matinees (four hours before curtain) Saturday evenings at 2 pm