Rafael Riqueni News
Flamenco guitar master Rafael Riqueni makes his New York debut at the Flamenco Festival; for Robert Browning Associates at Roulette Intermedium in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn; on Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 8pm. From $32.50. robertbrowningassociates.com 🇪🇸
Riqueni will perform music from his Latin Grammy-nominated album “Herencia” (Heritage).
Rafael Riqueni is an Award-Winning Flamenco Guitar Master
When Riqueni plays, you feel the warm sun of Seville’s Triana neighborhood, a peninsula in the Guadalquivir River famous for its flamenco spirit. Triana is the home of La Feria de Abril, the Seville Spring Fair filled with flamenco duende.
This is the spirit Riqueni brings to the stage. At times, it sounds as if two guitarists and a percussionist are playing together. That so much music would come from one beating heart is almost an act of god. He doesn’t just follow tradition, he defines it.
This is an artist at the peak of his life’s purpose. Artistic genius usually shows its face early. Born in 1962, Riqueni began performing solo at twelve. At fourteen, he won the Ramón Montoya Prize in the 8th Córdoba Competition, and the VI National Competition in Jerez which he eventually won twice.
After a long quiet of over twenty years, Riqueni made a triumphant return to the stages of the 2014 Sevilla Flamenco Bienal, the world’s premiere flamenco festival.
In 2020 the master won the Guitarra con Alma Prize (Guitar with Soul Prize) at the 34th Festival de Jerez.
- Juego de Niños (1986) showed Riqueni’s hallmark genius for harmony and composition.
- Flamenco (1987) became an aspirational template for generations of guitarists.
- Mi Tiempo (1990) added string arrangements.
- Suite Sevilla (1993) is classical impressionism.
- Maestros (1994) paid tribute to the traditional foundations of Niño Ricardo, Sabicas, and Esteban de Sanlúcar.
- Alcázar de Cristal (1996) marked the beginning of a long rest.
- Parque de María Luisa (2017) marked the return of the master.
- Herencia was released in January 2020, just as the pandemic staggered the world. It earned a Latin Grammy nomination.
In 2023, the master brings all of this to New York City for Robert Browning Associates, one of the true global music pioneers.
New York Venues
For more information, visit rafael-riquini.com