La Casita (The Little House) is an annual weekend of community-oriented poetry and music that is part of Lincoln Center Out of Doors at Lincoln Center and Teatro Pregones in Concourse, The Bronx.
La Casita 2018
La Casita is in:
- Hearst Plaza, Lincoln Center on Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 12 noon. FREE
- Teatro Pregones in Concourse, The Bronx on Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 2:30 pm. FREE
MC Falú leads this year’s show. We are going to let it all hang out about human rights, whether that’s LGBTQ rights, women’s rights, civil rights or immigrant rights. These are the stories of us.
This year’s poets are: Timothy DuWhite, el-Walad, Amanda Gorman, Randall Horton, Melissa Lozada-Oliva, Fred Moten, José Olivarez, Purvi Shah, Danez Smith, and Frank Waln.
This year’s musicians are: Bohio Music, Los Pleneros de la 21, Madison McFerrin, Soul Inscribed, and Ulali Project.
The artists have many backgrounds, but the one thing all have in common is serious engagement in life and our society. These are some heavy hitters. If you haven’t heard of them, you will.
I’m a little sad that our editorial only focuses on Latin culture because there are some fine artists here with roots from all over.
Lozada-Oliva is a nationally-known, New York based Latina poet, originally from Boston.
Articles by Lozada-Oliva in The Guardian
Olivarez is as Mexican – American poet, Harvard University graduate and book marketer. His latest book, Citizen Illegal, is available for pre-order.
Los Pleneros de la 21
Los Pleneros are a strong group of Puerto Rican musicians from El Barrio (East Harlem).
Ulali Project are an Indigenous American music group.
This is an important list because these are some of the people who run culture in New York City.
La Casita is curated by:
- Melody Capote of the Caribbean Cultural Center in East Harlem
- Lillian Cho, consultant
- C. Daniel Dawson, arts and media consultant
- LaTasha N. Nevada Diggs, writer, vocalist, sound artist and curator
- Cady Gierke of the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian
- Claudia Norman of Claudia Norman Management
- Rich Villar
La Casita Tickets
La Casita is Free, but go early.
Visit La Casita
La Casita is at Lincoln Center and Teatro Pregones.
Visit Lincoln Center
- (1) to 66th St – Lincoln Center
- (1) or (A) (C) or (B) (D) to 59th St – Columbus Circle
M5, M7, M11, M66, M104 to Lincoln Center
Beneath Lincoln Center
Visit Pregones Theater (Teatro Pregones)
571 Walton Ave, Bronx, NY 10451
(at 149th St)
Concourse, The Bronx
It’s just across the 145th St Bridge from Manhattan, between Yankee Stadium and Hostos Community College.