Louie Vega is a legendary Grammy-winning house DJ and producer with a Puerto Rican heritage. He came up in New York City’s 1980s club scene. Back then, he was called “Little Louie Vega” because he was just a kid.
You may or may not know him, but you know Louie Vega’s sound because he has produced many of the greats. He is very loved by New York City’s disco community.
Louie Vega in New York City
Legendary Puerto Rican DJ Louie Vega spins the Blue Note New York in Greenwich Village; on Tuesday-Wednesday, January 16-17, 2023 at 8pm & 10:30pm (6pm & 10pm doors). From $35. 🇵🇷
Louie Vega is a Legendary New York Puerto Rican House DJ
Vega is a Puerto Rican New Yorker from the Bronx. His father was a jazz saxophonist. His uncle was New York salsa legend Héctor Lavoe.
Louie came up in NYC’s seminal 1980s club scene. He worked at now legendary venues like Studio 54, Devil’s Nest, Heartthrob, Roseland, and the Palladium.
Louie hit the big time when he helped produce Marc Anthony’s “Ride on the Rhythm” (1991). The record featured Tito Puente and Eddie Palmieri. “Ride on the Rhythm” put both artists on the map. After opening for Puente at Madison Square Garden, both Louie’s and Marc Anthony’s careers took off.
Vega has worked with great pop, soul, and Latin artists including Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross, Madonna, Tito Puente, Black Eyed Peas, and on and on. He’s been nominated four times, but Louie won a Grammy for his remix of Curtis Mayfield’s “Superfly.”
Vega’s music is house and his parties are universal, but his sound always has a little Latin something.
You can follow Vega on Instagram @louievega
Louie Vega Albums
Vega’s a producer so it’s usually not his name on the album cover, but you’ll recognize the music even if you don’t know it’s Vega underneath.
Louie Vega Starring…XXVII
Louie Vega Starring…XXVII is Vega’s first album that is entirely his own.
This is super chill music. You can let it fade into the background or listen deep. It makes you want to dance.
Louie Vega Awards
Vega’s remix of Curtis Mayfield’s “Superfly” won the 2005 Grammy for “Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical.”
- “Praying For You” was nominated for the 2020 Grammy for “Best Remixed Recording.”
- “Can’t Let You Go” was nominated for the 2017 Grammy for “Best Remixed Recording.”
- “Louie Vega Starring…XXVIII” was nominated for the 2016 Grammy for “Best Dance/Electronic Album.”
- “Lei Lo Lai (MAW Mix)” was nominated for the 2003 Grammy for “Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical.”
- Vega was nominated for the 1999 Grammy for “Remixer of the Year, Non-Classical.”
- Vega was nominated for the 1998 Grammy for “Remixer of the Year, Non-Classical.”
Vega is based in New York so he plays around a lot. He has probably played everywhere, but these are some of his recent venues.
- Avant Gardner in East Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
- Blue Note New York in Greenwich Village.
- Cielo ~ Vega ran the Roots NYC party with Kevin Hedge until it closed in 2018.
- 3 Dollar Bill in East Williamsburg, Brooklyn.