The Cinco de Mayo Parade NYC 2023 is New York’s big Cinco de Mayo celebration.
Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day. It’s a celebration of the Mexican victory over “superior” French forces in the Battle of Puebla in 1862. It’s the big American festival of Mexican American culture. In Mexico, it’s really only celebrated in Puebla, but Poblanos are one of New York City’s biggest Mexican communities.
This is the biggest day for Mexican restaurants and bars, so take your family out to eat and celebrate the culture of our brother/sister country. ¡Viva México!
Cinco de Mayo Parade NYC 2023
The Cinco de Mayo Parade NYC 2023 marches down Central Park West from 106th St in the Upper West Side; on Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 12 noon. 🇲🇽
This is a beautiful community celebration. Many groups are contributing tamales to keep the marches fed. The community together makes us strong.
Don Erasmo Ponce, of Tortillería Chinantla, is the 2023 Cinco de Mayo Parade NYC Grand Marshal.
In the last 30 years, he has grown his business to the point where it makes over a million fresh tortillas every day. He started in 1992 with support from family and friends at a small warehouse in Brooklyn with used equipment. He grew the business working nights to serve customers during the day. The business is now a large operation in Newark, New Jersey and Don Ponce is teaching his children to run the family business.
Cinco de Mayo Parade NYC 2023 Community Participants
- Academia del Mariachi Nuevo Amanecer.
- Antonio Hernandez, mariachi.
- Ballet de Yonkers.
- Ballet Espiritu de Mexico.
- Ballet Folclórico Xochiquetzal de Long Island led by Maria Barrera.
- Carnaval de Huejotzingo.
- Comparsa de Chinelos Azteca y Familia Torres.
- Comparsa de Chinelos La Oriental de New York.
- Comparsa de Chinelos Guadacupana, Morelos, Mexico.
- Comparsa Guadalupana de Chinelos de Morelos, de José Peña.
- El Hijo del Santo lucha libre.
- Danza de los Tecuanes Quetzalcoatl.
- Folclore Hispano Guadalupano.
- Grupo de Danza Flor de Mayo.
- Grupo de Tecuanes de Acatlan.
- Danza de Tecuanes San Gabriel.
- Grupo Folclore Hispano Guadalupano.
- Grupo Folklorico Alebrues.
- Jordan Sensation, singer.
- Mariachi Huella Mexicana.
- Mariachi Talavera.
- Raul’s Boxing House.
- Tecuanes de Acatlan.
- Tí Toro Miko.
- And more.
Drivers with vehicles are arriving before 9am. Marchers are lining up at 11am. That’s a great time for photographers to get their best shots.
The Cinco de Mayo Parade NYC 2023 is produced by Asociación Tepeyac de New York, a community organization that provides many services to New York’s Mexican community.
There is more parade information, and information about services on their Facebook page @TepeyacNewYork