On World Ballet Day, the world’s leading ballet companies take you behind the scenes to see a day in the life of a professional ballet dancer.
Ballet is an Italian court dance, developed in France, preserved in Russia and Denmark, and reintroduced to the world by Sergei Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes out of Paris in the 1910-20s. New York City Ballet’s founding choreographer George Balanchine came from Ballets Russes.
World Ballet Day 2019
Wednesday, October 23, 2019 ~ Go behind the scenes with the Royal Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, Australian Ballet and 31 other ballet companies from around the world.
- Australian Ballet at 9pm to 3am ET (Tuesday night because of the world dateline)
- Bolshoi Ballet (Russia) at 2am to 6am ET
- Royal Ballet (UK) from 6am to- 12pm ET
The Latin ballet companies participating this year include:
- La Scala Ballet Company (Italy) from 4:45-5:45am ET
- Paris Opera Ballet (France) from 5:30-6:30am ET
- Ballet Concierto (Puerto Rico) from 10-11am ET
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater (USA) from 1-1:30pm ET
- São Paulo Dance Company (Brazil) from 2-3pm ET
- Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal (Canada) from 1- 4pm ET
- Acosta Danza (Cuba) from 3pm to 4pm ET
Stream World Ballet Day Live at worldballetday.com