The United Nations (UN) in Midtown East, is an international organization dedicated to peace, security and cooperation among the countries of the world. In 2023, it has 193 member states. 🇺🇳
UNESCO; the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization; promotes the cultural heritage of humanity.
- UNESCO’s World Heritage List helps preserve physical locations with cultural importance around the world. unesco.org
- UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage List helps preserve cultural diversity around the world. unesco.org
The General Assembly in September is the UN’s busy season.
United Nations News
Wednesday, March 8, 2023
Tuesday, March 21, 2023
UNITED NATIONS 🇺🇳
United Nations Schedule
- Holocaust Remembrance Day is January 27.
- International Women’s Day is March 8.
- World Poetry Day is March 21.
- World Autism Awareness Day is April 2.
- International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition is August 23.
- The UN General Assembly is in September.
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women is November 25.
The Main Architect of the United Nations Headquarters was the Brazilian Oscar Niemeyer
The United Nations Headquarters (1952) was designed by a team of ten architects from around the world. The team, led by Wallace K. Harrison, included legends such as Swiss-French architect Le Corbusier (1887-1965), one of the pioneers of the International Style of modern architecture. Niemeyer (1907-2012) was the youngest of the group.
Corbusier asked Niemeyer to support his plan which Niemeyer did, but the team chose Niemeyer’s proposal. Corbusier continued pressuring Niemeyer so the final plan is officially a combination of the two architect’s ideas, but really the United Nations Headquarters is mostly designed by a Brazilian.
Niemeyer went on to design Brasilia, Brazil’s capital city. The UN General Assembly Building looks like it could be in Brasilia.
General Assembly Hall
Visit the United Nations
United Nations Headquarters
First Ave between 42nd & 48th St
Midtown East, Manhattan
(4)(5)(6), (7), (S) to Grand Central Terminal and walk 4 blocks east.