The 74th UN General Assembly is at the United Nations in Midtown East, Manhattan from September 17-30, 2019. The High-Level General Debate begins September 24.
Due to heavy traffic and security, Midtown East is best avoided during this time.
Politicians get together every year to work on the problems of the world. In classic political speech, the meeting is called UNGA.
The UN is closed to the public during the General Debate September 24-30, 2019.
74th UN General Assembly
Current UN Secretary-General António Guterres (Portugal) hosts. Tijjani Muhammad (Nigeria) is President of the General Assembly.
This year the main topics are climate, universal health coverage, sustainable development, financing for development, elimination of nuclear weapons, and small island developing states.
The Climate Action Summit is September 23.
The UN High-Level Meeting on Universal Health Coverage is also on September 23. Isn’t it interesting that the countries of the world are thinking about universal health coverage, but in the U.S. we can’t get anything done.
Sustainable Development Goals focus on simple things we all can do to reduce our burden on Mother Earth. These include:
- Donating what you don’t use
- Avoid throwing away food
- Vaccinate your family
- Help children in your community to read
- Call out sexist language and behaviour
- Avoid wasting water
- Use only energy efficient appliances and light bulbs
- Buy from green companies that are equal opportunity employers
- Think of innovative new ways to repurpose old material
- Raise your voices against discrimination
- Bike, walk or use public transportation to keep our cities’ air clean
- Recycle paper, plastic, glass and aluminum
- Educate young people on climate change to put them on a sustainable path early on
- Avoid plastic bags to keep the oceans safe and clean
- Plant a tree and help protect the environment
- Use your right to elect leaders in your country and local community
That is pretty simple stuff, but 7.7 billion people making simple changes is a lot of change.
The High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development is on September 26.
The High-Level Midterm Review of the SAMOA Pathway
For more information, visit www.un.org