Trinidadian culture is a unique blend of South Asian Indian, African Diaspora (including Indigenous), Chinese, Spanish, French, and English traditions. Culture in the Lesser Antilles, Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana are related.
Trinidad’s most important culture is Trinidad Carnival, “the Mother of Caribbean Carnival.” Trinidadian traditions are celebrated around the world, including at New York Carnival (AKA West Indian Day Parade, Brooklyn Carnival, or Labor Day Carnival), and London’s Notting Hill Carnival.
Traditional Trinidadian culture includes calypso and steelpan.
Contemporary Trinidadian culture includes soca, a musical blend of South Asian Indian and African Diaspora rhythms.
The Trinidad Orisha (Shango) faith is a Caribbean Yoruba tradition.
Trinidadian Culture in New York City
The Independent 20th Century 2023 art fair recasts the recent past with a New York state of mind. 🇺🇸 🇧🇷 🇨🇺 🇫🇷 🇮🇹 🇪🇸 🇹🇹
Explore Caribbean culture at the climax of Caribbean Carnival.
🇹🇹 🇭🇹 🇧🇧 🇩🇲 🇱🇨 🇯🇲 🇻🇨 🇬🇩 🇬🇾 🇸🇷 🇧🇿
New York Carnival 2023 celebrates Trinidad Caribbean traditions with Voice’s Long Live Soca Tour, SocaFest, Junior Carnival, Panorama, Sunrise Day Soiree, J’Ouvert, and the West Indian Day Parade.
Chelsea, Greenwich Village, East Village
African, Afrobeat, Afro-Cuban, Bhangra, Bollywood, Bomba, Break Dancing, Caporales, Carnival, Dancehall, Flamenco, Folkloric, Hip-Hop, House, Jazz, Latin, Majorette, Mexican, Moko Jumbies, Reggae, Salay, Salsa, Samba, Soca, Street, Tammurriata, Tap, Tarrantella, Tinkus, and more. 🇧🇴 🇧🇷 🇨🇺 🇨🇴 🇩🇴 🇮🇹 🇯🇲 🇲🇽 🇳🇬 🇵🇪 🇵🇷 🇪🇸 🇹🇹
DANCEFEST Tompkins Square Park
🇧🇴 🇨🇺 🇲🇽 🇵🇷 🇪🇸
Saturday, May 20, 2023
International writers gather to talk about protecting free expression and human rights through literature.
Wednesday-Saturday, May 10-13, 2023
🇺🇸 🇨🇴 🇪🇨 🇸🇻 🇲🇽 🇵🇭 🇹🇹
Sunday, May 14, 2023
Trinidadian NYC is centered in South Ozone Park, Queens; and Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, East Flatbush, & Flatbush, Brooklyn. There is a Trinidadian community in Nassau County, Long Island.
The Trinidad and Tobago Consulate is in Manhattan’s Financial District. 🇹🇹
NY Trinidadian Dance
One of Dance Theatre of Harlem’s signature pieces is “Dougla,” Geoffrey Holder’s 1974 ballet about a Trinidadian wedding joining the African and South Asian Diaspora communities. 🇹🇹
NY Trinidadian Festivals
New York Carnival and the West Indian Day Parade 🇹🇹
Christmas Day and Boxing Day 🏴 🇹🇹
NY Trinidadian Food
Ariapita in Flatbush, Brooklyn. ariapita.com 🇹🇹
Kokomo in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. kokomonyc.com 🇹🇹
Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago are the two southernmost islands of the Lesser Antilles. They are close to the coast of Venezuela. We are Trinbagonian.
Public Holidays in Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago’s public holidays reflect the country’s diversity.
- New Year’s Day celebrates the start of the year in the contemporary Gregorian calendar on January 1. ✝️ 🇹🇹
- Spiritual Baptist/Shouter Liberation Day celebrates the 1917 repeal of a law that prohibited the Christian tradition brought to Trinidad by African Americans who fought for the British in the War of 1812. It is celebrated on March 30. ✝️ 🇹🇹
- Good Friday commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on the Friday before Easter Sunday. The date varies. ✝️ 🇹🇹
- Easter Monday is the day after Easter Sunday, the Christian celebration of the renewal of spring. The date varies. ✝️ 🇹🇹
- Eid al-Fitr is the Muslim feast that end of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month. The date varies. ☪️ 🇹🇹
- Indian Arrival Day celebrates the arrival of South Asian indentured workers in Trinidad and Tobago in 1845. 🇮🇳 🇹🇹
- Corpus Christi celebrates the Catholic tradition in which the wine and bread of communion represent the blood and body of Jesus Christ. ✝️ 🇹🇹
- Labour Day commemorates the Butler labour riots against the exploitation of oil and sugar workers in Trinidad in 1937. 🇬🇧 🇹🇹
- Emancipation Day celebrates the end of human enslavement in British colonies on August 1, 1838. 🇬🇧 🇹🇹
- Trinidad and Tobago Independence Day celebrates the country’s independence from Britain on August 31, 1962. 🇹🇹
- Trinidad and Tobago Republic Day celebrates the founding of the country’s own government institutions on September 24, 1976. 🇹🇹
- Lakshmi Puja is a Hindu festival that honors Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity and wife of Vishnu. They are the supreme gods in Vaishnavism, one of the main Hindu traditions. The date varies. 🇮🇳 🇹🇹
- Christmas Day celebrates the traditional birthday of Christ on December 25. ✝️ 🇹🇹
- Boxing Day is an English tradition of giving gifts to the poor on the day after Christmas. ✝️ 🇹🇹