Calpulli Navidad: A Mexican-American Christmas, premieres at the Thalia Hispanic Theatre in Sunnyside, Queens, Fri-Sun, November 30 – December 16, 2018.
Calpulli should be on Broadway. They are that good. The storytelling is world-class. The folk dancers show unusually good dance technique. The costumes will wow you and the shows always have something good to say. You can’t go wrong with Calpulli.
Navidad: A Mexican-American Christmas
Navidad: A Mexican-American Christmas explores the beautiful holiday traditions of Mexico and the United States through music and dance.
The traditions are experienced by a young person of Mexican immigrant parents growing up in New York City. From Aztec-inspired dance to Christmas carols, the youngster tries to bring their two worlds together.
In a dream, they imagine the fusion of Mariachi music with Tchaikovsky, folk dance with ballet, and the wonderment of their two cultures. But a tempting character preaches the separation of these customs, and the youngster must choose.
The company of 16 dancers and core of musicians led by Calpulli’s Music Director George Saenz bring to life timeless traditions and a world of holiday fantasy.
The entirely new program tells a story with commissioned works by Mexican and Mexican-American guest choreographers with new musical arrangements and original works by:
- Juan Castaño, Calpulli Co-Founder
- Javier Dzul, Dzul Dance Company Artistic Director
- Francisco Graciano, formerly Paul Taylor Dance Company
- Grisel Pren Monje, Calpulli Rehearsals Director
Navidad: A Mexican-American Christmas Tickets
November 30 – December 16
From $37 (Best rates on Fridays)
Tickets are available online at www.thaliatheatre.org
Visit the Thalia Theatre
The Thalia Theatre was founded in 1977. It’s a small Off-Off-Broadway theatre with 74 seats that serves the Hispanic community in Queens. They have been producing all kinds of Latin shows for what seems like forever. The Thalia gives you that feeling of once-upon-a-time in New York City…
41-17 Greenpoint Ave, Sunnyside, NY 11104
(between 41st & 42nd St)
- (7) to 40th St – Lowery St. Walk 1 block east on Queens Blvd, then 2 blocks south on 41st St.
- (7) to 46th St – Bliss St. Walk 1 block south on Bliss, then 4-1/2 blocks southwest on Greenpoint Ave.
- B24 northeast to 39th Pl. Walk 1 block northeast on Greenpoint Ave.
- B24 southeast to 44th St. Walk 2 blocks southwest on Greenpoint Ave.
- Q39 to 48th Ave – 43rd St. Walk 2 blocks west on 48th Ave, and 1 block northeast on Greenpoint Ave.