The 2019 Dance Parade New York marches from the Flatiron District to the East Village on Saturday, May 18, 2019 from 1pm – 4pm. FREE (with grandstand option)
The Parade ends at DanceFest in Tompkins Square Park in Manhattan’s East Village from 3-7pm.
You better have fun and dance your you-know-what off or the Dance Police may give you a friendly ticket to free or discounted dance classes and parties.
Anyone can dance in the Parade. You just have to register on danceparade.org
Dance Parade New York 2019
This year’s parade features over 150 dance organizations dancing over 80 unique styles of dance.
In a nod to our vibrant immigrant communities, this year’s theme is “Movement of the People.”
“Movement of the People”
This year’s grand marshals are:
Mofsie is a dancer and choreographer who is the founding director of New York’s Thunderbird American Indian Dancers. Mofsie is Indigenous Hopi of Arizona and Winnebago of Nebraska.
Bill T. Jones
Jones is one of New York’s outstanding African-American choreographers. He is co-founder of Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company.
Lee is an Indian-Chinese New Yorker whose Broadway dancing career began in the original production of The King and I in 1951.
She developed the Connie Wong character in A Chorus Line (1973) with the choreographer Michael Bennett. Since then, Lee has become a strong choreographer on her own.
Dara is an Irish New Yorker drum and bass DJ.
Dance Parade Route
- Broadway at 21st (Flatiron District)
- Broadway to University Place (Union Square & Greenwich Village)
- East on 8th St
- Grandstand in Astor Place Plaza at Fourth Avenue
- Tompkins Square Park (East Village)
Dance Parade Times
Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 1pm.
Latin Dancers in the 2019 Dance Parade New York
We thought we could save some work by only listing the Latin dances. But when you consider that jazz is Creole, hip-hop is Black and Latin, majorette hip-hop comes out of Carnival, and Latin roots are African – you end up with most of the dances.
A couple of things stand out from the lineup. New York City’s Bolivian community is small, but we have many Bolivian dance groups. There is a striking similarity between classical Chinese dance costumes and the Carnivalesque costumes of Latin America. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but the similarity is strong.
These are according to the May 12 line of dance:
1. Grand Marshal Louis Mofsie ~ Indigenous American
2. Movement of the People with the Thunderbirds & Wawacuna ~ Indigenous American / Ecuadorian
3. Danielle Lima Dance Group ~ Brazilian Samba
4. Afro Brazil Arts ~ Mindful Capoeira
6. University Neighborhood High School ~ Afrobeat & Hip-Hop
7. LoMA Dance Majors ~ Contemporary/Urban
9. The School at Peridance Irep ~ Hip-Hop
10. Takala Land ~ Hip-Hop
11. Tomkins Square Middle School Dance Heros ~ Hip-Hop
12. PS 165 Edith K. Bergtraum Dance Company ~ Jazz
17. Captain A-Fighting the war on Cancer ~ Salsa
18. Clearview Senior Center ~ Salsa
19. Fort Hamilton Senior Center ~ Salsa
26. KBL Kids Breaking League ~ Break Dance
27. University Settlement SONYC @ PS 34 ~ Break Dance / Hip-Hop
28. Salay Bolivia Bloque New Jersey ~ Bolivian Salay
33. Funk Buddha ~ Urban Experimental / Ethno Hyp Hop
35. Dance Conservatory of Baltimore ~ Jazz
38. Concrete Roses ~ Hip-Hop
39. B.A.D. Body All Dancers ~ Hip-Hop
40. IFE The Movement ~ Afro Fusion / Majorette
41. Fusha Dance Company ~ African (Congolese)
42. Baile! Cafe Modern Latin Fusion ~ Modern Latin Fusion
45. Big Apple Babes ~ New Orleans inspired Line Dance
52. GRAND MARSHAL ~ Baayork Lee
56. FFCCUSSNY (Sucre) ~ Bolivian Caporales
57. Epitome of Diversity ~ Hip-Hop
59. Ambition’s Pheonix ~ Caribbean
60. CAMS Dance Program ~ Afro Soca Fusion
63. S.K.E. ~ Hip-Hop
64. Explosion Dance Team from Soundview Academy ~ Hip-Hop
69. Fraternidad Cultural Incallajta New York ~ Bolivian Tinkus
70. Fit4Dance ~ Soca/Afro Caribbean
71. Aty Tentayape ~ Tobas Amazon Folklore
72. Dancers Dreamzzz ~ Mambo & Bachata
73. Gift of Dance ~ Latin Fusion
83. Tinkus San Simon Filial VA ~ Bolivian Tinkus
91. Los Andulleros de Santiago, USA ~ Dominican Carnival Dance
92. DJ Hector Mamajuana ~ Dominican Drum & Bass
93. GRAND MARSHAL ~ Dj Dara
94. Morenada Bolivia USA ~ Bolivian Morenada
98. Dwana Smallwood Performing Arts Center ~ Afro Fusion
99. Tropicalfete, Inc ~ Caribbean (Stilts, Mas and Steel Pan)
101. Caporales San Simon La Paz Filial Nueva York ~ Bolivian Caporales
102. Xianix Barrera Flamenco ~ Spanish Flamenco
104. Halo dance Crew-Super Kids ~ Hip-Hop
105. Prancing Buckeyes ~ Majorette / Hip-Hop
108. Caporales Universitarios San Simon Virginia ~ Bolivian Caporales
110. High Definition Dance ~ Hip-Hop
111. BOSS Kids ~ Hip-Hop
112. Dreams in Motion ~ Hip-Hop
117. The Glassdolls Dance Company ~ Jazz, Majorette, Hip-Hop, Modern
118. Salay Pasión Bolivia USA ~ Bolivian Salay
120. Third Street Music Settlement ~ Jazz / Hip-Hop
121. JNJ Dance Expressions ~ Contemporary West African
122. Awo Iyami Sisters in Dance & Drum ~ West African Dundun (Guinean)
123. The Kingdom Dance Company ~ Hip-Hop
124. SeServUofPA/Nu’Vizion Step Team ~ Hip-Hop
126. Xochipilli Dance Ensemble ~ Mexican Folkloric
127. Fraternidad Cultural Pachamama ~ Bolivian Tinkus
128. Fogo Azul NYC All Women Brazilian Drumline ~ Brazilian and Funk
129. Conjunto Nuevo Milenio ~ Panamanian folkloric
131. Fraternidad Folclórica Cultural Caporales Universitarios San Simon NY ~ Bolivian Caporales
132. Caporales San Simon Virginia USA ~ Bolivian Caporales
137. Xdance Studio ~ Salsa Fusion
139. MPSD Genies Performance Team ~ Jazz
144. West End Secondary School ~ Jazz
146. Caribbean Connection ~ Caribbean
147. CPE 2 Dream Team ~ Hip-Hop / Caribbean / Step
148. Little Branches of Borinquen ~ Baton, Cheer / Salsa / Bachata
150. Dalia Carella Dance Collective Menagerie d’Arte ~ World Dance Fusion
151. Urban Dance Opportunities ~ Afro-Caribbean
152. Power House ~ Majorette / Hip-Hop
153. Prime Force Dance Team ~ Hip-Hop
156. Flawless Dance Family ~ Majorette / Hip-Hop / Salsa
158. I.S. 238 Susan B. Anthony ~ West African / Hip-Hop
160. Mazarte Dance Company ~ Mexican Folkloric
161. Paul Pellicoros DanceSport ~ Cuban Cha Cha
Dance Parade New York 2019 Tickets
The best things in life are free. Watching the Parade and DanceFest are free.
Grandstand seating is available online from $30 at danceparade.org
At the grandstand, Master of Ceremonies DJ BooshWheelz will call out every dance organization.
The Dance Parade ends at DanceFest in Tompkins Square Park from 3-7pm.
There are five stages of performances, lessons, aerial and social dance. There is dance through the Park. It’s all Free.
For more information, visit danceparade.org