‘El Mar La Mar’ is an experimental film that takes viewers on a journey deep into the haunting beauty and mystery of the Sonoran Desert a major migration point along the U.S. – Mexico border.
Crossing the desert is a 30 to 120 mile journey. It’s the deadliest way to the enter the U.S. It’s also the busiest migrant corridor.
Co-director J.P. Sniadecki is from Harvard University’s Sensory Ethnography Lab. Co-director Joshua Bonnetta is a multimedia artist.
Together they get viewers to listen to the telltales of the desert, interweaving haunting oral histories about what has come to pass through the sun-scorched days and starlit nights of the great Sonoran Desert along the border of Mexico, California, and Arizona.
It’s the Koyaanisqatsi (1982) of the desert, but a deadly serious one.
A Cinema Guild release.
El Mar La Mar in NYC
El Mar La Mar is screening at MoMA Film in Midtown, Manhattan daily from Friday to Thursday, February 23rd through March 1st.
- Friday, February 23 at 7 pm
Discussion with the filmmakers
- Saturday, February 24 at 4 pm
Discussion with the filmmakers and Patty Keller of Cornell University
- Sunday, February 25 at 5 pm
- Monday, February 26 at 4 pm
- Tuesday, February 27 at 6:30 pm
- Wednesday, February 28 at 6:30 pm
- Thursday, March 1 at 7 pm
El Mar La Mar Tickets
Seniors (65+ with ID): $18
Students (full-time with ID): $14
Children (16 and under): Free
Free on Fridays from 4 – 8 pm.
To avoid long lines, arrive after 6 pm
MoMA Members ($85) get:
- Free admission
- $5 guest tickets
- 20% store discounts
Buying MoMA Tickets
Tickets are available at the door.
Avoid the line, buy online at www.moma.org
18 West 54th St, New York, NY 10019
(between Fifth & Sixth Aves)
Open Daily: 10:30 am – 5:30 pm (Fridays until 8 pm)
MoMA opens to members at 9:30 am
- (E) or (F) (M) to Fifth Ave/53rd St
- (F) to 57th St
- (E) or (B) (D) (F) to Seventh Ave
These parking vendors offer MoMA discounts. Validate your parking ticket in the Museum lobby.
- ICON Parking at 94 West 54th St and 75 West 53rd St (between Fifth & Sixth Aves)
- The 1345 Garage at 101-41 West 54th St (between Sixth & Seventh Aves)