The Future Dance Festival 2023, at the Harkness Dance Center at the 92nd Street Y, is an open competition for choreographers. It’s an incubator that gives new talent access to the New York dance community that operates behind the scenes.
The Festival was founded as a virtual showcase to keep dance alive during the Covid-19 pandemic. Both the 92nd Street Y and the Harkness Foundation for Dance have a long history of developing dance in New York City. They just keep going.
This year’s festival produced 21 finalists from 130 submissions.
Future Dance Festival 2023
The panelists are:
- Janet Eilber, Artistic Director, Martha Graham Dance Company
- Michael Novak, Artistic Director, Paul Taylor Dance Company
- Melanie Person, Co-Director, The Ailey School
- Dante Puleio, Artistic Director, Limón Dance Company
- Jessica Tong, Rehearsal Director, A.I.M by Kyle Abraham
- Kyle Abraham, Artistic Director, A.I.M by Kyle Abraham
The 3rd Future Dance Festival 2023 showcases the next generation of choreographic talent; in-person at the 92nd Street Y, Kaufman Concert Hall, in the Upper East Side; on Saturday, April 15, 2023 at 7:30pm. $30. It is online from Sunday, April 16, 2023 at 12pm. $20. 92ny.org
- Pedestrian Ballet by Doron Perk 🇮🇱
- there goes the point by McKay House and Emma Morrison
- Euphonic Connection (excerpt) by Mikaela Morisato
- A Subject Under Consideration by Julia Ramirez
- suRREALIST by Stephen Shynes
- I Spit Out the Gold (excerpt) by Lily Mello and Kali Petrizzo
- Memory  by Spencer James Weidie
- Los Inmigrantes by Ruben Andres Castillo Gomez 🇲🇽
The virtual presentation was recorded Friday, March 31, 2023, and available through Sunday, April 2.
- Dream Scene by Natalia Nikitin
- Through your eyes by Francisco Patricio
- study for a copy (code surfing) by Luna Beller-Tadiar
- Teres by Maria Perez
- ÌYÁguration “Wade” (excerpt) by Kara Jenelle Wade
- LOLA by Gabriella Mittenthal
- DUST by Beatrice Ferrari
- ROLLBACK by Brandon Coleman
- UNCONVENTIONAL DANCE: Big Kmart by Nattie Trogdon & Hollis Bartlett
- Love Me of Leave Me by Gerson Lanza
- strikethrough ’21 by Maxine Flasher – Düzgünes
- 5th Møøn (excerpt) by Enrique Villacreses