The 59th New York Film Festival 2021 is the older and more European of NYC’s two biggest film festivals.
59th New York Film Festival 2021
The 59th New York Film Festival 2021 is at Film at Lincoln Center for two and a half weeks: Sep 24 – Oct 10, 2021. From $17. filmlinc.org
The Festival opens with The Tragedy of Macbeth by Joel Coen at Alice Tully Hall and all Film at Lincoln Center theaters on Friday September 24.
The Centerpiece film is The Power of the Dog by Jane Campion.
The Closing Night film is Pedro Almodóvar’s Parallel Mothers starring Penélope Cruz on Friday, October 8. Almodóvar does Q&As at the 6pm and 9pm screenings. 🇪🇸
Main Slate Films
The main slate includes 32 feature films from around the world.
- Parallel Mothers by Pedro Almodóvar. 🇪🇸
- A Chiara by Jonas Carpignano. 🇮🇹
- Ahed’s Knee by Nadav Lapid. 🇫🇷
- Bad Luck Banging or Loony Porn by Radu Jude. 🇷🇴
- Benedetta by Paul Verhoeven. 🇫🇷
- Bergman Island by Mia Hansen-Løve. 🇫🇷
- Il Buco by Michelangelo Frammartino. 🇮🇹
- The First 54 Years: An Abbreviated Manual for Military Occupation by Avi Mograbi. 🇫🇷
- France by Bruno Dumont. 🇫🇷
- Futura by Pietro Marcello. 🇮🇹
- Întregalde by Radu Muntean. 🇷🇴
- Memoria by Apichatpong Mwerasethakul. 🇨🇴
- Neptune Frost by Saul Williams and Anisia Uzeyman. 🇺🇸
- Petite Maman by Céline Sciamma. 🇫🇷
- Prayers for the Stolen by Tatiana Huezo. 🇲🇽
- Titane by Julia Ducournau. 🇫🇷
- Vortex by Gaspar Noé. 🇫🇷
Spotlight focuses on some of the next season’s big movies.
- Dune by Denis Villeneuve. 🇨🇦 (French Canadian from Montreal which has a strong gaming culture)
- The French Dispatch by Wes Anderson. 🇺🇸
- Jane by Charlotte by Charlotte Gainsbourg. 🇫🇷
- Marx Can Wait by Marco Bellocchio. 🇮🇹
Amos Vogel Centenary Retrospective
Austrian film fan Amos Vogel (1921-2012) was a co-founder of the New York Film Festival. These films are selected in his honor.
- Barravento by Glauber Rocha. 🇧🇷
The Currents section focuses on innovative forms and voices.
- The Tsugua Diaries by Maureen Fazendeiro and Miguel Gomes. 🇵🇹
- El Gran Movimiento (The Great Movement) by Kiro Russo. 🇧🇴
- I Want to Talk About Duras by Claire Simon. 🇫🇷
- Nature by Artavazd Peleshian. 🇫🇷🇮🇳
- Returning to Reims by Jean-Gabriel Périot. 🇫🇷
- Social Hygiene by Denis Côté. 🇨🇦 (French Canadian)
- Ste. Anne by Rhayne Vermette. 🇨🇦 (Indigenous)
These are restored films by famous filmmakers.
- Sambizanga (1972) by Sarah Maldoror. 🇦🇴
- Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song by Melvin Van Peebles. 🇺🇸
- Who Killed Vincent Chin? by Christine Choy and Renee Tajima-Peña. 🇺🇸