The US Open tennis championship is one of the sport’s four major “Grand Slam” tournaments. It’s also a major end of summer see-and-be-seen social event for New Yorkers who like to play that game. 250,000 New Yorkers visited in 2019.
US Open Tennis 2021
The US Open is at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens Aug 30 – Sep 12. From $33 usopen.org
The tournament draw is Thursday, August 26. The seeds have been scheduled though there are still some qualifiers.
To COVID or not to COVID?
The rise of the COVID-19 Delta variant makes gathering a little risky. The tournament is outdoors, but there are few pandemic protocols and nobody knows how the pandemic will play out. We had a breakthrough infection from an outdoor exposure (because we thought outdoors were safe), so judge the risk for yourself.
The organizers have been looking to Yankees and Mets baseball games as an example on how to manage stadium events. Qualifying rounds were played without spectators, but the tournament is for a full house.
Serena Williams and Venus Williams have dropped out due to injuries. Serena has a torn hamstring.
World No. 1 Ashleigh Barty (Wimbledon 2021) is favored to win.
- Naomi Osaka defends her 2020 title. She is seeded 3rd. 🇯🇵
- Bianca Andreescu is seeded 6th. 🇷🇴🇨🇦
- Garbine Muguruza is seeded 9th. 🇻🇪🇪🇸
- Simona Halep is seeded 12th. 🇷🇴
Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal aren’t playing. Federer had knee surgery. Nadal has a chronic foot injury. Both may be near the end of their careers.
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic is favored to win. It would be a calendar-year slam for him.
- Matteo Berrettini is seeded 6th. 🇮🇹
- Pablo Carreno Busta is seeded 9th. 🇪🇸
- Diego Schwartzman is seeded 11th. 🇦🇷
- Roberto Bautista Agut is seeded 18th 🇪🇸
- Lorenzo Sonego is seeded 20th 🇮🇹
- Round 1: Mon-Tue, August 30-31 at 11am and 7pm.
- Round 2, Doubles Round 1: Wed-The, September 1-2 at 11am and 7pm.
- Round 3, Doubles Round 2: Fri-Sat, September 3-4 at 11am and 7pm.
- Round of 16, Doubles Round 3: Sun-Mon, September 5-6 at 11am and 7pm.
- Quarterfinals: Tue-Wed, September 7-8 at 12pm and 7pm.
- Semifinals, Wheelchair: Thu, September 9 at 12pm and 7pm.
- Men’s Semifinals, Men’s or Mixed Doubles Finals, Wheelchair: Fri, September 10 at 12pm, 3pm and 7pm.
- Women’s Final, Mixed or Men’s Doubles Finals, Wheelchair Doubles Finals: Sat, September 11 at 12pm and 4pm.
- Men’s Final, Mixed or Women’s Doubles Finals, Wheelchair Singles Finals: Sun, September 12 at 12pm, 1pm and 4pm.
The Tennis World
The US Open attracts the world’s best players.
- Argentina 🇦🇷
- Brazil 🇧🇷
- Chile 🇨🇱
- Colombia 🇨🇴
- Dominican Republic 🇩🇴
- Ecuador 🇪🇨
- France 🇫🇷
- Italy 🇮🇹
- Mexico 🇲🇽
- Paraguay 🇵🇾
- Peru 🇵🇪
- Portugal 🇵🇹
- Romania 🇷🇴
- South Africa 🇿🇦
- Spain 🇪🇸
- Tunisia 🇹🇳
- Uruguay 🇺🇾