The US Open Grand Slam 2020 is at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center from August 31 to September 13, 2020.
The tournament is being played without fans to keep New Yorkers safe during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Naomi Osaka won the women’s and Dominic Thiem won the men’s. Osaka is Haitian Japanese American. She plays for Japan because she was born there. Her mom is Japanese, but she was raised in the U.S.
Top Men’s Seeds
- #1 Novak Djokovic (Serbian) was disqualified for accidentally hitting a line judge with a ball.
- #6 Matteo Berrettini (Italian) made the Round of 16
- #8 Roberto Bautista Agut is Spanish) made the Third Round
- #9 Diego Schwartzman is Argentine made the First Round
Top Women’s Seeds
- #1 Karolina Pliskova is Czech made the Second Round
- #3 Serena Williams (American) made the Semi Final
- #4 Naomi Osaka (Haitian Japanese American and plays for Japan) won
- #10 Garbiñe Muguruza (Venezuelan who plays for Spain) made the Second Round.
COVID-19 Fears Thin the Field
Defending champions Rafael Nadal (World #2 Spain) and Bianca Andreescu (Romanian-Canadian) and others including Ashleigh Barty (World #1) and Simona Halep (World #2 Romanian) have opted out of the tournament because of COVID-19 concerns.