St. Mark’s Church in the Bowery is a very old Episcopal church (1799) that hosts many community events in Manhattan’s East Village.
St. Mark’s Church in-the-Bowery was the Stuyvesant Family Chapel
Peter Stuyvesant (1610 – 1672) was the last Dutch Director General of the colony of New Netherland before it became English New York in 1664. He is a famous figure of early New York. He was sent to clean up the operation which was then a company town.
The area was the Stuyvesant farm. Stuyvesant St is the only diagonal street in the Lower Manhattan grid. It was the entrance to the Stuyvesant farm. The Bowery was the second main road after Broadway which was the old Indian trail. The Indian trail followed the Hudson River upstate. The Bowery road led up the coast to Connecticut and Boston.
St. Mark’s Church in-the-Bowery was built on the site of the family’s chapel where Peter is buried. It was finished in 1799 and became Manhattan’s second Episcopal church after Trinity Church downtown.
St. Mark’s Church in-the-Bowery is a Georgian style church.
St. Mark’s Church in-the-Bowery has a long history of the arts
Isadora Duncan and Martha Graham danced there in the 1920s and 1930s. The St. Mark’s Sunday Symposium hosted a number of great poets and thinkers.
Today St. Mark’s Church hosts the Poetry Project and Danspace Project.
Latin Culture at St. Mark’s Church in-the-Bowery
The Mano a Mano Day of the Dead celebration is October 27 – 28, 2017 from 1 – 6 pm. Free
Visit St. Mark’s Church in the Bowery
131 East 10th St (at Second Ave)
New York, NY 10003
(4) (6) Astor Place
(L) Third Ave
(N) (Q) (R) (W) Union Square
For more information, visit stmarksbowery.org