Throckmorton Fine Art is America’s leading art gallery for contemporary and vintage Latin American photography and Pre-Columbian Art. The gallery also deals in Chinese Jade and Antiquities.
Throckmorton Fine Art is America’s leading dealer in Latin American Photography, Pre-Colombian art and Chinese Jade and Antiquities
Spencer Throckmorton founded the gallery in 1980. He fell in love with Latin American culture while studying art history in college.
We first noticed the gallery for its collection of famous photographs from Latin American history. It was a surprise to find them here in New York.
Throckmorton has a fine collection of Luis Álvarez Bravo, the Mexican surrealist who is the father of Latin American photography. It also represents Graciela Iturbide, the Mexican photographer and top student of Bravo who carries on his traditions. The gallery has one of the major collections of photographs of Frida Kahlo.
The gallery also represents Aldo Sessa, the great Argentine photographer of port cities, Tango, and Gauchos.
Throckmorton’s interest in Latin American culture led to his collecting Pre-Columbian sculpture. He started collecting before it became popular. Instead of buying a piece here and a piece there, he would purchase entire lots, so the collection is deep.
His passion for ancient sculpture led Throckmorton to the Far East where he began collecting antique Chinese jades and Buddhist stone sculpture.
The gallery trades in museum quality art and produces publications for its exhibitions. It participates in museum exhibitions and curates collections. The team is very modest, but they really do have world-class collections of Latin American photography, Pre-Columbian sculpture, and Chinese jades and antiquities. If you are looking for something in particular, just ask.
Throckmorton Fine Art Fairs
Throckmorton Fine Art participates in these photography and antiques shows:
Winter Antiques Show (January)
Park Avenue Armory
January 19 – 28, 2018
AIPAD Photography show
April 5 – 8, 2018
AADLA Fine Art & Antiques
Church of St. Ignatius Loyola Wallace Hall
October 27 – 30, 2017
Throckmorton Fine Art Exhibitions
Winter 2017 – 2018
The Gallery is exhibiting Brazilian photographer Valdir Cruz Presences Thursday, December 7, 2017 through Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Surrealismo Ojos de Mexico ~ Surrealism in Mexican Photography is on view September 21 – December 2, 2017.
The Gallery is exhibiting at the AADLA Fine Art & Antiques Show at Wallace Hall in the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola in Manhattan’s Upper East Side from October 27 – 30, 2017
Dragon Lore in Early China March 2 – April 22.
AIPAD Photography Show at Pier 94, booth #500, March 29 – April 2. Works by
Aldo Sessa (Argentine),
Ruven Afanador (Colombian, worked in Spain),
Mario Algaze (Cuban)
Manuel Álvarez Bravo (Méxican)
Marilyn Bridges (American, worked in México),
Raúl Cañibano (Cuban),
Jesse A. Fernández (Cuban),
Héctor García (Mexican),
Fritz Henle (German, worked in Mexico),
Marcus Leatherdale (Canadian),
Gideon Lewin (American),
George Platt Lynes (American),
Tina Modotti (Italian, worked in México)
Fritz Henle “Photographs” including photographs of México, April 27 – June 24.
Pre-Columbian artifacts at the Winter Antiques Show at the Park Avenue Armory January 20-29, 2017 with an opening night party Thursday, January 19.
- Mexican photographer Flor Garduño from December 1, 2016 – February 25, 2017.
- Mexican photographer Héctor Garcia: Sixty Years of Remarkable Photography September 22 – November 26, 2016
- Under the Cuban Sun June 16 – September 17, 2016.
- Portals of Transformation II: Sacred Architecture and Stone Figures of Ancient Guerrero (Mexican) April 28 – June 11, 2016.
- Iconic Latin American photography at the AIPAD Photography Show April 14-17, 2016
- Early Chinese Buddhist Sculpture fro the Northern Dynasties March 3 – April 23, 2016
- Pre-Colombian Artifacts at the Winter Antiques Show January 22-31, 2016
- Christian Cravo: Twenty-Five Years (Brazilian) January 14 – February 27, 2016
- Vintage Masters November 19, 2015 – January 9, 2016
- Women Pioneers – Mexican Photography I September 24 – November 14, 2015
- Mirror Mirror…Portraits of Frida Kahlo (Mexican) May 21 – September 12, 2015
- Director’s Choice… at the AIPAD Photography Show April 16-19, 2015
- Mario Algaze: A Respect for Light (Cuban) April 9 – May 16, 2015
- The Beauty of Jade during the Warring Periods March 5 – April 4, 2015
- Pre-Columbian artifacts at the Winter Antiques Show January 23 – February 1, 2015
- Ruven Afanador “Angel Gitano: The Men of Flamenco” (Colombian / Spanish) November 6, 2014 – February 28, 2016
- “Guarapuava” Valdir Cruz (Brazilian) September 18 – November 1, 2014
Visiting Throckmorton Fine Art
Throckmorton Fine Art
145 East 57th Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10022
Tuesday – Saturday 11 am-5 pm
(4) (5) (6) or (N) (R) (W) to 59th St – Lexington Ave
For more information, visit www.Throckmorton-NYC.com
If you are interested in any of these artists, please contact art consultant Ximena Ojeda