Bolivian NYC is centered in Queens and Paterson, New Jersey.
Bolivia has Andes and Amazon regions. It was part of the Inca Empire. Spanish colonizers stole the Bolivian silver mountain at Potosí. Bolivians speak Spanish, Quechua, Aymara and other Indigenous languages. Indigenous culture remains strong. Indigenous colonial Mestizo Baroque art is quite beautiful. There is some blending of Indigenous and African Diaspora traditions. Carnival is important.
The Queens Bolivian Parade is NYC’s big Bolivian festival. There is Bolivian culture at the Dance Parade, Hispanic Day Parade and Junta Hispana street fair. Many Bolivian Caporales dance groups join the Dance Parade.
- Bombín hat
- Caporales dance
- Diablada dance
- Mestizo Baroque art
- Morenada dance
- Saltenas empanadas
- Tinku dance
- Zampona flute
Bolivian Festivals NYC
- Queens Bolivian Parade
Bolivian New York City
- Bolivian Consulate cancilleria.gob.bo
- Bolivian Llama Party blp.nyc
- Turnstyle Underground Market turn-style.com
Bolivian NYC News
Dance Parade NYC 2023 DanceFest Gets over 10,000 New Yorkers Dancing in the Streets
Chelsea, Greenwich Village, East Village
African, Afrobeat, Afro-Cuban, Bhangra, Bollywood, Bomba, Break Dancing, Caporales, Carnival, Dancehall, Flamenco, Folkloric, Hip-Hop, House, Jazz, Latin, Majorette, Mexican, Moko Jumbies, Reggae, Salay, Salsa, Samba, Soca, Street, Tammurriata, Tap, Tarrantella, Tinkus, and more. 🇧🇴 🇧🇷 🇨🇺 🇨🇴 🇩🇴 🇮🇹 🇯🇲 🇲🇽 🇳🇬 🇵🇪 🇵🇷 🇪🇸 🇹🇹
DANCEFEST Tompkins Square Park
🇧🇴 🇨🇺 🇲🇽 🇵🇷 🇪🇸
Saturday, May 20, 2023
Continue Reading Dance Parade NYC 2023 DanceFest Gets over 10,000 New Yorkers Dancing in the Streets
International Workers Day or Labor Day is a National Holiday in Much of the Latin World
This ancient European spring holiday became associated with the labor movement. The U.S. downplays it, but it’s a major holiday in the Latin world.
Monday, May 1, 2023
Celebrate Our Lady of Candelaria, Patron Saint of Tenerife, Canary Islands; the African Diaspora; and Miners
Friday, February 2, 2024
SANTA CRUZ DE TENERIFE, CANARY ISLANDS, Spain 🇪🇸
Bushwick Film Festival 2022 Features Over 100 Independent Films from Brooklyn and the World
RED CARPET RECEPTION
Tuesday, November 1, 2022
Monday, November 7, 2022
🇺🇸 🇧🇴 🇨🇴 🇩🇴 🇪🇹 ✡️ 🇲🇽 🇳🇬 🇱🇨
CHRISTMAS EVE CONCERT
The New York String Orchestra led by Bolivian conductor Jaime Laredo with Venezuelan violinist Rubén Rengel play Elgar, Mozart, Bach and Tchaikovsky on Carnegie Hall’s Stern Auditorium/Perelman Stage on Saturday, December 24, 2022 at 7pm. From $21. 🇧🇴🇻🇪
Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, a celebration of the Americas, through October 15. 🇦🇷🇧🇴🇧🇷🇨🇱🇨🇴🇨🇷🇨🇺🇩🇴🇪🇨🇸🇻🇬🇶🇬🇹🇭🇳🇲🇽🇳🇮🇵🇦🇵🇾🇵🇪🇵🇷🇪🇸🇺🇾🇻🇪
The Queens Hispanic Parade 2022 marches on 37th Avenue from 69th St to 86th St in Jackson Heights, Queens on Sunday, September 25, 2022 starting at 11am. 🇦🇷🇧🇴🇨🇱🇨🇴🇨🇷🇨🇺🇩🇴🇪🇨🇸🇻🇬🇶🇬🇹🇭🇳🇲🇽🇳🇮🇵🇦🇵🇾🇵🇪🇵🇷🇪🇸🇺🇾🇻🇪
Celebrate Bolivian Independence Day on Saturday, August 6, 2022. 🇧🇴
Celebrate Bolivian Independence Day at the Bolivian Llama Party restaurant in Sunnyside, Queens on Saturday, August 6, 2022 at 7pm. 🇧🇴
Rosita Hurtado shows at Fashion Designers of Latin America at Lavan541 in Chelsea, Manhattan on Tue-Wed, Sep 8-9, 2021. 🇧🇴
The New York Yankees celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with a giveaway of Yankee caps with Hispanic flags for Yankee games on Fri-Wed, Sep 17-22, 2021. From $40. mlb.com
The 59th New York Film Festival is at Film at Lincoln Center, Fri, Sep 24 – Oct 10, 2021. 🇦🇴🇧🇴🇧🇷🇨🇦🇨🇴🇫🇷🇮🇳🇮🇹🇲🇽🇵🇹🇷🇴🇪🇸🇺🇸
Bolivian Food in NYC
Puerta Del Sol in Woodside, Queens serves traditional Bolivian food.
You can get salteñas (Bolivian meat pastries) at the Bolivian Llama Party kiosk in the Turnstyle Underground Market on Eighth Ave and 57th St in Hell’s Kitchen. There is another in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.
Bolivia’s Indigenous culture remains very strong. Bolivian culture is a rich blend of Indigenous, Spanish colonial and African cultures.
Bolivia has many interesting folk dances including Caporales, Diablada, Morenada, Tinku and Tobas.
Bolivian Intangible Cultural Heritage
UNESCO recognizes these Bolivian contributions to the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity:
- Alasita ritual journeys
- Carnaval de Oruro is one of South America’s biggest cultural festivals.
- Ichapekene Piesta
- Pujllay and Ayarichi music and dance of the Yampara culture.
- Santísima Trinidad del Señor Jesús del Gran Poder in La Paz.
The Carnaval de Oruro is one of South America’s great cultural festivals. It was originally an Indigenous festival that was syncretized with the Virgin of Candelaria to preserve Indigenous traditions in the Colonial Era. It’s now a pre-Lenten carnival.
Public Holidays in Bolivia
- New Year’s Day on January 1.
- Carnival (varies)
- Good Friday (varies)
- Labor Day on May 1.
- Corpus Christi on June 16.
- Bolivian Independence Day on August 6.
- All Saint’s Day on November 1.
- Christmas Day on December 25.
Festivals in Bolivia
- Alasita, a Bolivian good-luck tradition, is in La Paz for two-three weeks from January 24.
- Feast of Our Lady of Candelaria, patron saint of Tenerife, Canary Islands, and the African Diaspora is February 2.
- Carnaval de Oruro is February 11-21, 2023.
- Holy Week is April 2-8, 2023.
- Nuestro Señor del Gran Poder Christian festival (May or June) is in La Paz, June 3, 2023.
- Aymara New Year is in Tiwanaku, near La Paz, on June 21.
- Inti Raymi is June 22.
- Entrada Universitaria is a college folk parade in La Paz in July or August.
- Pachamama Andean New Year celebrates Mother Earth on August 1.
- Ñatita is an ancestral veneration festival in La Paz on November 8.
Bolivian World Heritage Sites
UNESCO recognizes these world heritage sites in Bolivia:
- Chiquitos in Santa Cruz Department has restored colonial Jesuit missions.
- Fuerte de Samaipata in Florida Province of Santa Cruz Department is a town with ceremonial Indigenous rock sculptures.
- Noel Kempff Mercado National Park in Santa Cruz Department has beautiful waterfalls.
- Potosí in Potosí Department, is the city of Cerro Rico, the legendary silver mountain of the Spanish colonial era.
- Qhapaq Ñan is the ancient Inca road system that follows the Andes. The mountain road that passes through Bolivia, runs from Colombia to Mendoza, Argentina
- Sucre in Oropeza Province of Chuquisaca Department, is a town known for its fusion of Indigenous and Colonial architecture.
- Tiahuanacu in Ingavi Province of La Paz Department is an ancient center of Tiahuanacu culture.