New York’s Upper East Side is Manhattan’s most exclusive residential neighborhood.
- Fifth Avenue along Central Park is Museum Mile.
- Park Avenue is big business.
- Madison Avenue is New York’s most exclusive shopping district.
Upper East Side Features
Wednesday, January 25 – May 20, 2023
Upper East Side, NYC
Friday-Sunday, January 20-29, 2023
PARK AVENUE ARMORY
Upper East Side, NYC
🇦🇷 🇺🇸 | 🇫🇷 🇮🇹 🇵🇹 🇪🇸
Friday, January 20-28, 2023
Online through February 28, 2023
25 ART GALLERIES
Upper East Side, NYC
🇦🇷🇧🇷🇨🇴🇲🇽🇵🇦🇻🇪 | 🇫🇷🇮🇹
Upper East Side News
The Winter Show 2023, one of America’s leading antiques fairs, is a benefit for East Side House, a community services organization in Mott Haven, The Bronx. The antiques fair is at the Park Avenue Armory in Manhattan’s Upper East Side; for ten days, from Friday-Sunday, January 20-29, 2023. $30. 🇦🇷🇺🇸 | 🇫🇷🇮🇹🇵🇹🇪🇸
For the Master Drawings New York 2023 art fair, 25 art galleries show old masters and new masters from their collections and from visiting international dealers; in Manhattan’s Upper East Side; from Friday, January 20-28, 2023. The exhibition continues online through February 28, 2023. 🇦🇷🇧🇷🇨🇴🇲🇽🇵🇦🇻🇪 | 🇫🇷🇮🇹
Flag Series: Raul Mourão is a public art installation of Mourão’s “The New Brazilian Flag #3, (2018); at Americas Society on 68th St in the Upper East Side; from January 24 – May 30, 2023. FREE! 🇧🇷
Bispo do Rosário: All Existing Materials on Earth, the first U.S. solo exhibition of the genius outsider artist; is at Americas Society in the Upper East Side; from Wednesday, January 25 – May 20, 2023. FREE! 🇧🇷
Deep Marajó: Contemporary Marajoara Ceramics, an art exhibition of contemporary ceramics from the Marajó archipelago at the mouth of the Amazon River; is at Americas Society in the Upper East Side; from Wednesday, January 25 – May 20, 2023. FREE! 🇧🇷
Scottish classical guitarist Sean Shibe celebrates the Spanish influence on classical guitar through non-Spanish artists including Barrios, Ginastera, Poulenc, Villa-Lobos; at the 92nd Street Y Kaufmann Concert Hall; on Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 7:30pm. From $25. 🇦🇷 🇧🇷 🇫🇷 🇵🇾 🇪🇸
Venezuelan pianist Gabriela Montero: Westward explores the immigrant experience through Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff and Stravinsky (three great Russian composers who emigrated to the United States), and improvisations to Chaplin’s short film “The Immigrant” which inspired her selections. It’s at the 92nd Street Y Kaufmann Concert Hall; on Friday, February 10, 2023 at 7:30pm. From $25. 🇻🇪
Maurya Kerr (Alonzo King LINES Ballet, ODC) from the Bay Area, brings her contemporary dance to the 92nd Street Y Buttenwieser Hall in Manhattan’s Upper East Side; on Thursday-Friday, March 9-10, 2023. From $20. 🇺🇸
The Museum Mile Festival street fair is Tuesday, June 6, 2023.
Latin Art in the Upper East Side
Museum Mile is Fifth Avenue from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in the Upper East Side – to Africa Center in “El Barrio” East Harlem.
The Upper East Side art scene leans towards the high-end, with Old Masters and antiques.
- Acquavella Galleries is one of the galleries that brought modern art to New York. 🇮🇹
- Americas Society
- Henrique Faria Fine Art is a Latin American art gallery.
- Hutchinson Modern & Contemporary 🇦🇷 🇮🇹
- ISLAA, Institute for Studies on Latin American Art
- Leon Tovar Gallery is a Colombian art gallery. 🇨🇴
- Mary-Anne Martin Fine Art specializes in Mexican art. She created the Latin American department at Sotheby’s, before it became popular. 🇲🇽
- Sotheby’s New York is an auction house, but in season, the entire building is one big art gallery.
The Park Avenue Armory hosts many art fairs.
Art Auction Houses
Sotheby’s May and November art auctions are pillars of the New York art scene. Old Masters and antiques auctions are in January.
Latin Books in the Upper East Side
- Albertine is a French bookstore at the French Embassy in the Upper East Side. albertine.com 🇫🇷
- The John and Francine Haskell Library at FIAF, the French Institute Alliance Française, is New York’s biggest French library. 🇫🇷
Latin Consulates in the Upper East Side
- French Embassy 🇫🇷
- French Consulate 🇫🇷
- Italian Consulate 🇮🇹
Latin Food in the Upper East Side
- La Esquina 🇲🇽
- Maya 🇲🇽
About the Upper East Side
Fifth Avenue is home to the Museum Mile museum district. There are many Old Masters art galleries in the neighborhood.
Park Avenue is mostly big business. The Lever House is an architectural gem that changed Park Avenue from a residential to a business street.
Madison Avenue is NYC’s luxury shopping district. Bloomingdales is the neighborhood department store.
Lexington Avenue has a little of everything because of the subway.
Carl Schurz Park has beautiful East River views.
Visit the Upper East Side
Fifth Avenue | Upper East Side | East River
- 96th St (4)(6) at Lexington.
- 96th St (N)(Q) at Second Avenue.
- 86th St (4)(5)(6) at Lexington. (Guggenheim, Met Museum)
- 86th St (N)(Q)(R) at Second Avenue.
- 77th St (4)(6) at Lexington.
- 72nd St (N)(Q)(R)
- 68th St – Hunter College (4)(5)(6)
- 63rd St (4)(6) at Lexington.
- Lexington Ave – 63rd St (F)(N)(Q)(R)
- Second Ave at 60th St Roosevelt Island Tram
- Fifth Avenue – 59th St (N)(R)(W)
- Lexington Ave – 59th St (N)(R)(W)
- 59th St (4)(5)(6) at Lexington.